Google Admits to Taking Down 180 Million Infringing Videos from YouTube in 2014 Alone

Top 8 Singles: December 13 – December 19If you follow the Google Transparency Report, you will have seen this official Google description of what the report measures:

Google regularly receives requests from copyright owners and reporting organizations that represent them to remove search results that link to material that allegedly infringes copyrights. Each request names specific URLs to be removed, and we list the domain portions of URLs requested to be removed under specified domains.

That means that the transparency report only measures links in Google’s search engine.  That doesn’t include Blogger which is a hot bed of links to sites using the BitTorrent protocol, and it also does not include YouTube.

YouTube, of course, is a site that is 100% within Google’s control and for which Google sells 100% of the advertising.

We’ve always wondered why the transparency report doesn’t include all take down notices that Google receives across all of its platforms, because that would be…you know…transparent.

Today we find out from a Google representative (the elusive and nameless Google representative who really gets around) that YouTube took down 180 MILLION infringing videos LAST YEAR ALONE according to PC World:

Google argues that new laws aren’t needed to protect copyright holders.

“We’ll continue working to protect people using our services,” Google’s lawyer said Monday. Last year alone, he said, it removed 500 million “bad ads” and over 180 million YouTube videos for policy violations.

Aside from the mindblowing number of takedowns, this admission raises a more interesting question.  If any advertising was sold against the 180 million videos–and it would be hard to believe that NO advertising was sold–what happened to that money?  Did any advertisers get a refund?

What do you think?

Comments are closed.