by Michael Trampe
We donâ€™t think anyone ever envisioned social media playing such a prominent role in Hip Hop, let alone in life. I mean, letâ€™s face it, social media plays a huge role in the majority of all our lives. You probably came to this article from a link on Twitter, Facebook or some other third-party referrer. Itâ€™s a way of life now for most, and for me it both pays my bills and has birthed some incredible relationships. I had the pleasure of joining the HipHopDX staff about seven years ago when social media was still fairly new. I started and built HipHopDXâ€™s Twitter, Facebook and Instagram accounts over the years. But with time came change, and with change came experience and with that experience this roundtable manifested itself.
I meet a lot of unsigned, aspiring rappers. I also work with a handful of influential brands, artists and companies. They all want to know what they can do on social media to expand their reach, to be heard and to stay relevant. Unfortunately, a lot of them were (or are) still doing it wrong. I donâ€™t claim to have all the answers, but with years of experience, and a track record that speaks for itself, I figured it was time to gather up the troops and breakdown this thing we call social media.
The following advice comes from some of the most respected professionals in this industryâ€”people like Rob Markman and Ty Cannon. Now, this isnâ€™t a guarantee that this roundtable will skyrocket your career or brand, but the information will definitely help anyone trying to improve his or her social media game. Between industry veterans like J-Hatch, DJ Pain 1, Kathy Iandoli and Nadeska Alexis, there are over 100 combined years of experience on this roundtable.
The Roundtable Includes
- !llmind (@illmindPRODUCER) -Â Grammy-Nominated, Multi-Platinum Music Producer for Kanye West, Drake, J. Cole, 50 Cent & many more. Founder ofÂ Roseville Music Group
- J Hatch (@MogulStatus) -Â J Hatch aka Mogulstatus (Co Founder of iStandard, Founder of Direct 2 Exec & MusicIndustry1on1.com, Former VP of Coast 2 Coast Mixtapes)
- Frankie VegasÂ (@xxMISSVEGASxx) – Social Media Director, Wu Music Group
- Bun B (@BunBTrillOG)Â – Emcee, Family Man, Â½ of Rap Group UGK, Teacher
- Rob Markman (@RobMarkman)Â – MTV News, Sway in the Morning, The Rob Report
- Ty Cannon (@TheRealPHD)– A&R, Aftermath Records
- Kathy Iandoli (@Kath3000)Â – Writer for VICE, Noisey, i-D. Editor-At-Large, BET.
- DJ Pain 1 (@DJPain1)Â – Platinum producer for Young Jeezy, Ludacris, Rick Ross, Public Enemy, and more.
- Nadeska Alexis (@NewerYork) -Â Senior Hip Hop Writer, MTV