AsÂ All Eyez On MeÂ continues gaining revenue, a woman has claimed she hasnâ€™t earned a dime on a track with Tupac Shakur.
While derided by critics, the popular Tupac Shakur biographyÂ All Eyez On MeÂ continues posting strong box office numbers. Â Now, following the filmâ€™s success, the rapperâ€™s estate has been hit with another lawsuit.
Natasha Walker sang back-up on Tupacâ€™s famous hit,Â Bury Me A G. Â According to court documents, she allegedly made a deal with the late rapper to have equal ownership over the song. Â Walker claims that she has yet to receive a single dime from the song. Â She previously formed part of early 90s R&B and hip-hop group Y?N-Vee. Â The group only released one album, the self-titledÂ Y&N-VeeÂ in 1994. TMZ firstÂ brokeÂ the story.
One key problem that Walker lawsuit faces is Californiaâ€™s statute of limitations. Â The state limits these claims to just four years. Â Walkerâ€™s lawyer, however, says that she back-up singer deserves money from the track as it still makes money.Â Walker, says her attorney, has â€œevery rightâ€ to claim unpaid royalties.
Walkerâ€™s court filing comes just days afterÂ All Eyez On MeÂ was hit with a lawsuit. Â Last Friday, former Vibe journalist Kevin PowellÂ allegedÂ that the popular biopicÂ All Eyez On MeÂ stole specific passages from articles he wrote in the 90s. Â The film features several completely fictional characters and events that never actually occurred. Â Powell alleges that the fictional characters and events match his own fictional aspects and embellishments. Â He demanded â€œjustice and a resolutionâ€¦that is fully fair.â€
Despite Californiaâ€™s statute of limitation, Natasha Walker has asked for back and current royalties. Â She also wants to receive damages for not receiving any royalties to date along with attorneyâ€™s fees.
Tupac Shakurâ€™s biopic,Â All Eyez On Me,Â has earned $43.8 million so far on a $40 million budget.