byÂ Paul Resnikoff
After teasing hardcore vinyl fans with an extremely limited run, the classic TechnicsÂ SL-1200 is being more widely released.
Last year, Panasonic shocked the vinyl community by announcing the return of their classic, Technics SL-1200 turntable. Â That was roughly one year ago, with a limited run of SL-1200GAEs quickly selling out in Japan. Â Just 300 of the limited-edition units, priced at more than $3,000 each, sold out in roughly 30 minutes.
Now, Panasonic is readying a broader push, with â€˜Grand Classâ€™Â SL-1200Gs hitting the British market this month, according to an announcement just made at IFA in Berlin. Â IFA is the largest electronics show in Europe, rivaling CES in the United States as a venue for product unveilings and announcements.
The newest SL-1200Gs will retail for Â£2,799, or roughly $3,720 in USD (and of course, post-Brexit, those currency conversations are rapidly changing). Â The SL-1200G will be almost identical to the GAEs in Japan (pictured above), with just a few minor tweaks.
Panasonic is leaving a bunch of details out, all part of a well-tuned, hype-raising marketing strategy. Â Missing information includes exact release date, exact quantities, and broader global rollout plans, though lower-priced units could take some time to materialize.
Details about the turntable itself are readily available. Â So here they are:
Grand Class SL1200G Specification
- Twin-Rotor Surface-Facing Direct Drive motor
- Direct Drive Motor Controller
- High Sensitive Tonearm
- Brass-Top Turntable Platter
- Technics Definitive Design
- Inherited design from the SL-1200 series
- Heavy Aluminum Top Plate
- Type: Direct Drive Manual Turntable
- Turntable Speeds: 33 1/3 rpm, 45 rpm, 78 rpm
- Variable Range Pitch: Â±8%, Â±16%
- Wow and Flutter: 0.025%ã€€W.R.M.S. (JIS C5521)
- Rumble: 78dBã€€(IEC 98A Weighted)
- Turntable Platter : Weight: Approx. 3.6kg (including rubber sheet)
- Type: Universal, Static Balance
- Overhang: 15mm
- Arm Height Adjustment Range: 0-6mm
- Applicable Cartridge Weight Range:
- Without auxiliary weight 5.6 â€“ 12.0g;Â 14.3 â€“ 20.7g (including headshell)
- With small auxiliary weightÂ 10.0 â€“ 16.4g;Â 18.7 â€“ 25.1g (including headshell)
- With large auxiliary weightÂ 14.3 â€“ 19.8g;Â 23.0 â€“ 28.5g (including headshell)
- Terminal: Phono Output x 1 / SIGNAL GND x 1
- Power Supply: AC110-240 V, 50 Hz / 60 Hz
- Power Consumption: 14 W / Approx. 0.2W (Standby)
- Dimensions: W: 453 mm H: 173 mm D: 372 mm (Height including dust cover)
- Weight: Approx. 18kg